Right to Therapeutic and Behavioral Services

Your child has the right to appropriate therapeutic services necessary for the child to receive a Free and Appropriate Public Education.  Such services may include:

  • Physical Therapy services to improve your child’s gross motor skills
  • Occupational Therapy services to address fine motor deficits, address adaptive living skills and improve physical and mental functioning.
  • Psychological Services necessary for children with diagnosed cognitive or behavioral disorders

If you believe that your child is being denied such services, we can help.  You have the right to request such services from the school and may also have the right to be reimbursed if you find it necessary to obtain services outside of the school system.

Behavioral intervention plans

Children with emotional or behavioral issues are also entitled to services from the school.  You may be entitled to a Functional Behavioral Assessment and the implementation of a Behavioral Intervention Plan.  Often, the failure of a school to recognize the need for an assessment and behavioral intervention can result in your child receiving inappropriate discipline from the school.  If you believe that your child may need a behavioral intervention paln that is not being provided by your school, we are here to help.

If you have a special needs child Brad A. Schlossberg, Esq., and the team at Berger, Fischoff, Shumer, Wexler & Goodman, LLP,  can help you navigate the laws applicable to the rights of disabled children, and children with medical or emotional problems, that require accommodations from the school 

Section 504 Plan And ACCOMODATIONS

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act requires schools to provide reasonable accommodations for students.  Such accommodations can include

  • access to school buildings and buses, such as ramps and lifts
  • the use of assistive devises and technology
  • testing and classroom accommodations, such as extended testing time

Accommodations do not necessarily require a student to also be receiving an IEP.  If your child is being denied accommodations at school, Berger, Fischoff, Shumer, Wexler & Goodman, LLP can help.

Contact the Education Law team at Berger, Fischoff, Shumer, Wexler & Goodman, LLP at 1-800-806-1136 today for a Free Consultation.